A structural edit involves an initial evaluation of your manuscript to determine clarity in the organization, language, and tone of the story, as well as checking for inconsistencies in plot, flow, and characterization. This also includes basic fact checking where needed. A report is provided offering comments and suggestions for outstanding developmental and technical issues.
Email to enquire.
For manuscripts in rougher shape, or perhaps those that need a little more TLC, the Copy Edit+ corrects grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other mechanics of style; checks for consistency of mechanics, internal consistency of facts, and outstanding issues with plot and timeline. Includes suggestions or minor rewrites to improve clarity of expression, and a one-page summary of developmental and technical issues, if required.
This level of editing is best for authors who have had their manuscripts critiqued or developmentally edited but may need a little extra guidance. A second copy edit is often recommended if major revisions are needed.
* Copy Editing+ rate will be charged for heavy copy edits (including those that require full tense changes).
$0.01 per word (two passes included)
Editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other mechanics of style; checking for consistency of mechanics, internal consistency of facts, and outstanding issues with plot and timeline. Includes suggestions to improve clarity of expression.
$0.0085 per word
This is usually the final read-through of your edited manuscript. Includes checking for style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and word usage. It is assumed by this point your manuscript has already been edited and errors should be minimal.
$0.005 per word
NEW! Audio Proofing
Let me be your ears! I will follow along with your manuscript to check for accuracy in your audiobook files, pointing out mispronunciations, delivery issues, and audio tech issues. I can also prepare your manuscript for narrators (removing dialogue tags, highlighting/color coding dialogue, parenthetical for dialogue delivery where needed).
$20 per hour, including documentation time
Terms and conditions:
1. Please contact in advance for availability and current turnaround times.
2. A complimentary sample edit of one chapter or ten pages can be provided.
3. All changes and suggestions will be noted using Tracked Changes and comments in Microsoft Word. Manuscripts are edited using the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster as references, unless otherwise directed.
4. An initial quote based on approximate word count will be provided upon request. Invoice based on actual word count provided upon submission of completed manuscript. Fifty (50) percent of project cost will be payable upon submission of manuscript. Any changes to manuscript prior to arranged schedule will be accepted; final invoice will be adjusted in reflection of any changes to word count. Please refer to terms in contract for any changes to manuscript once editing has commenced. Final invoice to be paid in full before edited manuscript is returned. All prices quoted in US Dollars.
*“Rush” jobs are subject to an additional 25% fee, minimum $50.